- FEED THE SOIL—Organic lawncare focuses on creating active soil life, which in turn produces healthy grass. Plant and animal based fertilizers provide plant nutrition, and contain vital microorganisms and other beneficial life forms, which increase disease resistance. Living soil is your best protection against lawncare problems. Our 100% all-natural fertilizer will feed your soil, create active soil life and help your grass out compete weeds!
- DDG—Our Premium Organic Program includes two DDG (dried distillers grains) treatments. DDG only effects new weed seed growth, not established perennial weeds. It is a 100% natural by-product of Ethanol production.
- FIESTA® NATURAL DANDELION CONTROL - The active ingredient in this natural broadleaf weed control is Iron (FeHEDTA) chelate. While it can have some effect on other broadleaf weeds, it is most effective on Dandelions. It is applied as a spot spray treatment in the spring. For optimal weed control results we recommend two applications. Check out our Why Organic page for detailed information on this product.
- YOUR ROLE—We want you to be happy with your organic lawn, but we can’t do it alone - we need your help! A major component of all-natural weed management is how the homeowner cares for the lawn. In order to achieve the best results with organic lawncare, we recommend that you mow high and don’t bag grass clippings.
- MOW HIGH—Set your mower at the highest position - ideal grass height is 4.5"-5.0" after mowing! When you mow your lawn too short (under 4 inches), you are reducing the surface area of the grass blade that is able to absorb sunlight and ultimately feed the plant. In addition to providing the grass plant with more nutrition, grass blade length is directly related to root depth. Longer blades = deeper roots. Shortly cropped grass can also allow sunlight onto the soil, which can allow weed seeds to germinate. Tall lush grass will help shade out & out compete weeds.
- DON’T BAG CLIPPINGS—If you bag your grass clippings, you are robbing the grass of the nutrients you are paying us to apply. Grass clippings contain 58% of the added nitrogen from your fertilizers. On an organically treated lawn grass clippings will not produce thatch. Thatch is a condition found in lawns where soil life is dead, usually from chemical treatments, and unable to breakdown grass clippings.
- OVERSEEDING—A thick lush lawn is a great way to help crowd out weeds! Overseeding with a slit seeder will help fill-in thin grass or bare spots in your lawn where weeds tend to invade.
- AERATION—We can improve compacted soil conditions by aeration. Many weed seeds flourish in compacted soil conditions. You may have a soil compaction problem if you can’t stick a screwdriver easily into your soil.
- SOIL TESTING—If your lawn is experiencing on-going weed problems, you may want to consider having a soil test. We can send a sample of your soil to a lab to be tested for pH and nutrient levels. Many times weeds can be indicators for nutrient deficiencies (i.e. Dandelions are linked to compaction, low pH and low Calcium). We can add specific soil amendments to balance your soil nutrient levels and discourage weed growth.
- WEEDY SPEEDY—There is a great tool that you can use to easily pluck established weeds from your lawn - The Weedy Speedy! Without bending over you can quickly pull weeds from their roots. Order it online at A.M. Leonard.
THE WEED TEAM!
There is no 100% weed-free lawn, even chemically treated lawns find themselves with a few weeds. We are working against nature to keep large areas growing only one type of plant—grass. Mother Nature tries to populate her fields with diverse varieties of plants in order to maintain balance. Organic lawncare requires several components for effective weed management.
Guide to Common Lawn Problems
"We have been Elfner Organic Lawncare clients for over 5 years and couldn’t be more pleased with them."
"With the great lawn and yard care I get from Nate & Jenn I have a beautiful yard with healthy grass and plants. I enjoy the birds, bees, and butterflies who flock to our pesticide free landscape. I feel good about my grandchildren playing anywhere in our yard. I'm so very very glad I found Elfner Organic Lawncare!"
"Our lawn continues to look healthier each year and requires less watering because the roots are deeper. We don't like treating the entire lawn with chemicals just to green-it-up quickly or to kill a few weeds, and believe an organic approach is much better for the environment. Elfner Organic Lawncare has been excellent to work with and always responds quickly to any of our questions."